I tend to wander fairly aimlessly between genres. Currently I’m really enjoying YA, children’s books, horror, fantasy and sci fi, but I suffer from extreme book grabbiness. I want to read them all! Well, except for those that trigger my romantiphobia.
While my never ending TBR pile runs the gamut, a good portion of the books I read include at least one of the following:
- Mental health, sexual assault, domestic violence, eating disorders, LGBTQIA, self harm, suicide, bullying, addiction
- Outcast, loner, misfit, quirky characters
- Young girl detectives, the smart girl main character
- Supernatural, ghosts, witches, magic
- Unicorns, dragons
- B-grade genetically engineered gigantic animals hunting humans
- Stories set in schools, boarding schools, asylums, anything haunted
- Time travel, parallel universes and anything you could consider fringe science
- Non-fiction, including psychology, science, self-help, memoirs, true crime, philosophy
You can find pretty much find anything else you will ever want to know about me in my reviews (probably even more). Stories are my life. When I’m not reading them, I’m watching them.
- Color Out of Space – That’s a big ‘no’ from me. Why do I keep watching Nicolas Cage movies, expecting a different result? I love horror, creepy and weird, but this was just wrong.
- Ghostbusters II – Naturally I needed to rewatch the sequel as well for ‘research’ purposes.
- Ghostbusters – This is my all time favourite movie. I received an ARC of a Ghostbusters book this week so it seemed like the perfect excuse for a rewatch. It’s still homework if it’s fun and you assign it to yourself, isn’t it?
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – I think I fell into some serious plot holes. Definitely not my favourite Star Wars movie, even though Felicity and Villanelle both showed up.
- Birds of Prey – It was a lot better than Suicide Squad. Lots of action, colour and mania.
- The Final Level: Escaping Rancala – This was pretty much what I’ve come to expect from most movies by The Asylum: dodgy acting, really dodgy special effects, cringey script, so much B-grade fun!
- The Grudge – Lin Shaye from the Insidious movies was the standout for me. It’s been so long since I saw the first English version with Sarah Michelle Gellar so can’t really compare the two. This remake/reboot (?) was more visceral than the Japanese movies.
- Haunt – Katie Stevens from The Bold Type takes a break from journalism to see if she’s got what it takes to be a final girl, extreme haunted house style.
- Black Christmas – No. Just, no. And I was so looking forward to it. Probably should have read some reviews first.
- Ringu – This absolutely terrified me when I first saw it. It’s been over a decade since I last watched it and it’s held up so much better than I expected it to. Now I wish my library had the rest of the Ring movies.
- Doom Patrol Season 1 – DC just keeps getting better and better! I love every character in this series. I’m now mildly obsessed with this version of People Like Us.
- Atypical Seasons 1 and 2 – I went from not knowing a great deal about this series to bingeing the entire first season in one sitting. I finished both seasons within 24 hours. I absolutely love this family!
- 60 Days In: Narcoland – I can’t believe how boring that was. Practically nothing happened and the participants this year were nowhere near as interesting as the ones in the original series. What a letdown!
- Project Blue Book Season 2 – I loved Season 1. This Season started off a bit slow for me but I really got into it towards the end. I’m hanging off a cliff here so hopefully it won’t be too long before I get to find out what happens next. This series reminds of of a cross between The X-Files (but more laid back) and The Americans.
- The Good Place Season 4 – Unpopular opinion time … I can’t get enough of the first three seasons but this season was a bit hit and miss for me. While I will freely admit to ugly crying during the finale, I would have preferred the series to end with Patty. Eleanor and Chidi snuggled up watching the sunset felt like the perfect ending. Chidi definitely makes me want to devour some philosophy books!
- ER Seasons 1 to 14 – This takes me back! I can’t believe how much of this I still remember! I’ve been hankering for an ER binge for years and finally found the entire series on DVD. Thank you, eBay!